The Roper St. Francis Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Program is one of a few programs of its kind in the Southeast. Our dedicated doctors and modern technology make it possible to perform virtually every surgical procedure without the use of blood or blood products.
- Advise all of your doctors of your desire to be a bloodless patient.
- See your primary care doctor annually and ask them to check your hemoglobin to ensure optimal levels.
- When preparing for surgery, communicate your desire to be a Bloodless Medicine patient or advise that you are a Jehovah’s Witness when you are contacted by the pre-admission testing nurse.
- Update and include your Health Care Power of Attorney with all of the documents that you are asked to bring to the hospital.
- Discuss your desire not to receive blood and blood products with your surgeon during you pre-operative visit.
- If you are unfamiliar with non-blood alternatives that may be used as part of you treatment, contact the Bloodless Coordinator for more information at (843) 724-2399.
- Upon admission let your nurse know that you wish to be a Bloodless Medicine patient.
- Provide a copy of your Health Care Power of Attorney to the admitting nurse to be placed in your chart.
The Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Coordinator is available to answer your questions and to assist with any part of this process. Call (843) 724-2399 for assistance.