Deciding on UFE
UFE may be a good option for women who need treatment for fibroid symptoms, but want to avoid surgery.
Patients who are ideal for UFE include women who:
- Have symptomatic fibroids
- Want to keep their uterus
- Do not want surgery
- Desire a shorter hospital stay
- May not be good candidates for surgery
- Do not intend to get pregnant in the future
UFE and Fertility
It is currently advised that women who want to maintain fertility should not have UFE. However, a 2005 study of 555 women between the ages of 27 and 42 showed that the majority of women actively trying to become pregnant were able to achieve pregnancy after UFE. Most resulted in term deliveries and newborns of typical size.