Known for its compassionate, quality care, Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital’s 204-bed, state-of-the-art, acute care facility offers several Centers of Excellence. In addition, St. Francis has the only emergency room West of the Ashley with a Care Express area for minor injuries and illnesses.
St. Francis Hospital traces its mission back to 1882 when five Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy opened the St. Francis Infirmary in a small, wooden-framed building on the corner of Calhoun and Ashley Streets in downtown Charleston. It was the first Catholic hospital in South Carolina and the only one in Charleston.
In order to better meet the healthcare needs of Charleston’s growing community, the Sisters began a search in the late 1980’s to transfer St. Francis Hospital to another Catholic religious community with an extensive healthcare background. In July 1989, the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady of Mercy officially transferred sponsorship of St. Francis Hospital to the Bon Secours Health System, Inc. The ministry of the Sisters of Bon Secours began in Paris more than a century ago. The sisters cared for the sick in their homes, going door to door, and delivering “good help to those in need.”
In December 1996 after 114 years in downtown Charleston, St. Francis Hospital moved into its new facility in West Ashley, offering the latest in technology and convenience to a larger percentage of the Greater Charleston residents. On a campus graced by lovely oaks, including a new meditation garden, Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital continues its commitment to caring for the “whole person” – physically, spiritually and emotionally.
Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital
2095 Henry Tecklenburg Drive - Charleston, SC 29414